Core Christian Beliefs
• God is One in Three Persons – a Trinity.
• God is Father/Creator.
• God is Son/Redeemer.
• God is Holy Spirit/Sustainer.
• The Bible reveals God.
• Creation is broken, but God seeks to redeem it.
• Humanity sinned and is fallen.
• Sin is forgiven, and creation is restored to fellowship with God through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
• The church, as fellowship, is the body of Christ and the community of the new creation.
Core Baptist Beliefs
• Sole freedom: Each person is responsible for one’s own relationship with God.
• Freedom of Religion
• Priesthood of all Believers: Each person has direct access to God.
• Autonomy of the Local Church
• The Bible is authoritative with Jesus as its interpreter, which means we can interpret the Bible through Jesus’ life and teaching.
• Believer’s Baptism by Immersion
Our Core Values
• Being family
• Being with our community
• Being adventurous
Mission & Vision
We strive to Love • Live • Give like Christ by bringing all of who we are to bear in bringing Christ’s hope to people experiencing poverty, broken homes, and substance abuse.
Women in Ministry
We believe God calls women to minister in the body of Christ (the church). Women serve in every aspect of our congregation, including preaching and being ordained as deacons.
Our Official Position on Marriage and Homosexuality
The following by-law amendment was adopted by a 2/3 majority vote of FBC Covington on September 20, 2015.
Definition of Marriage:
Our definition of marriage is based on our understanding of the Bible. We believe marriage was created by God and is between one man and one woman as a uniting covenant commitment. We also believe a man and woman to be biologically born male and female.
Furthermore, we believe that the Bible teaches that legitimate sexual relations are exercised only within marriage and therefore oppose all forms of sex outside marriage, including: premarital sex, extramarital sex, incest, pedophilia and pornography. According to our reading of the Bible, we believe same-sex relations also to be illegitimate.
Therefore, the pastors and staff of First Baptist Church, Covington, TX will not officiate in same-sex unions or same-sex marriages nor will the properties or resources of said church be used for such purposes.
We are currently discussing how we as a church will respond to homosexual individuals who desire to be involved with First Baptist Church, Covington, TX (10.29.17).